Job: Vice President Regulatory Affairs
Vice President Regulatory Affairs
National Dairy Council
Rosemont, Illinois 60018
Job Description and Requirements
The individual in this position will manage daily oversight of the National Dairy Council (NDC) Regulatory Affairs program to provide scientific and regulatory guidance to NDC and its partners to protect and promote the position of dairy foods and ingredients in the marketplace. Provides scientific expertise to develop research and educational resources to support dairy in dietary guidance and innovation. Oversees review of NDC communications materials to ensure they are accurate and align with government guidelines. Interacts across the organization, including with Research, Integrated Communications, Scientific Affairs, and Sustainable Nutrition Affairs staff, the Innovation Center for US Dairy, and with global food and nutrition experts and thought leaders.
Provide regulatory insights and guidance to support strategic priorities of NDC, the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy, the dairy community
- Monitor regulatory information sources (e.g. FDA, FTC, NAD, Codex) to identify regulatory activities that may impact the U.S. dairy industry and potentially dairy demand globally
- Educate NDC staff and industry partners on dairy implications of current and future regulatory activities for the industry, U.S and global
- Provide guidance to DMI staff and dairy industry partners on nutrition-based regulatory topics related to labeling and advertising
- Provide science-based regulatory comments on dairy priority topics to FDA and, as needed, to global authorities
- Coordinate regulatory activities on dairy priority topics with dairy partners in the US (e.g. National Milk Producers Federation, International Dairy Foods Association) and globally (e.g., US Dairy Export Council, International Dairy Federation)
- Serve as an expert scientist internally and externally
Identify and develop health-related positioning and innovation opportunities
- Working with cross-functional teams, provide interpretation of research to develop new health positioning for dairy foods and guidance for activation by dairy companies
- Evaluate and document scientific support for new claim opportunities
- Collaborate with US and global dairy partners to leverage science in support of innovation
- Provide strategic guidance in response to industry queries on regulatory topics
Oversee analysis of relevant research, including national dietary surveys (NHANES), to provide key insights to protect and promote the role of dairy in healthy eating patterns
- Develop and package current data on dairy consumption and nutrient contributions in the U.S. for the dairy community
- Develop resources to provide insights, claims and messaging opportunities to the dairy community
- Collaborate with staff to plan and publish peer-reviewed papers to address research gaps
Promote scientific research that supports dairy foods in dietary guidance and the health and wellness marketplace
- Represent dairy industry at scientific and authoritative meetings
- Author papers and present at scientific meetings
Education & Experience: PhD in nutrition, biochemistry, or related field. Five+ years' experience in management of nutrition research and/or regulatory issues.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Experience with scientific support of claims, messaging, and product labeling. Familiarity with the structure, function and agenda of organizations inside and outside the US involved in public health and nutrition and potentially relevant to the demand for dairy products. Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal and analytical and technical skills essential. Experience with leadership, facilitation, and negotiation, teamwork and customer focus. Experience in Nutrition Research and applications of outcomes for industry a plus.
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and a collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O'Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc.(DMI) is funded by America's 41,000+ dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association, and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.
National Dairy Council is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color
[posted Oct 20, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference nutritionjobs.com.