Program Manager I, Nutrition and WIC
Management and Administration
Native American Health Center Inc. (NAHC)
Oakland, California 94601
Job Description and Requirements
Position: Program Manager I, Nutrition and WIC
Reports To: Program Manager II, Nutrition and WIC
Job Location: Native American Health Center, 3124 International Blvd., Oakland, CA 94601
Work Hours: Full Time, 100% FTE, 40 Hours per week
The Program Manager I (PMI) is a key member of the WIC leadership team. The PMI will provide nutrition assessment, counseling and group education for members, and supervise Nutrition Assistants. Additionally, the PMI will assist the PMII in the development, implementation and evaluation of the nutrition education component of the program and provide technical support to the program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Participate in the leadership of the program by assisting the PMII with change management, development of quality improvement strategies and implementation efforts.
2. Participate in the development and evaluation of WICâs Nutrition Services Plan to ensure an appropriate focus on breastfeeding promotion and support, goals, and activities.
3. Under the guidance of the PMII, effectively manage nutrition programming and service provision.
4. Work closely with PMII to ensure required data collection and documentation of program objectives & outcomes occur.
5. Under the guidance of the PMII, develop and evaluate lesson plans, group education, and new program initiatives.
6. Provide monthly, quarterly and other reports required by the department and funding agencies.
7. Participate in project related activities with outside partner agencies, internal department partners, and stakeholders, working to advance project-specific goals as well as the overall agency interests effectively.
Direct Patient Care / Clinical Responsibilities
8. Member Care: Demonstrate understanding and apply working knowledge of safety policies and ensuring safe member practices.
9. Screen members for nutrition risk factors and determine eligibility for program benefits using the WIC Information System.
10. Provide nutrition counseling for clients including high-risk clients, according to agencyâs nutrition education services plan.
11. Prescribe appropriate food instruments and educate participants on their use.
12. May provide group nutrition education for members.
13. Provide referrals to other staff and/or external providers.
14. Provide supervision of staff, resolve staffing issues and facilitate conflict resolution for staff under direct supervision. Hire, discipline and terminate staff in coordination with the Human Resources department.
15. Effectively lead and retain staff under direct supervision by fostering a team environment and providing opportunities for staff to develop new skills
16. Safety: Take appropriate corrective actions to address matters pertaining to employee health and safety that have been brought to their attention.
17. Train, monitor, and evaluate employee performance. Conduct employee evaluations, stay interviews, and provide continuous feedback.
General Duties and Responsibilities
1. Quality Improvement: Actively participate in internal quality improvement teams and work with members proactively to drive quality improvement initiatives in accordance with the mission and strategic goals of the organization, federal and state laws and regulations, and accreditation standards, when assigned.
2. Must maintain compliance with ergonomic safety standards; be mindful of posture and regularly practice ergonomic stretches.
3. Safety: Responsible for ensuring that all duties, responsibilities and operations are performed with the utmost regard for the safety and health of all personnel involved, including themselves.
4. Work extremely well under pressure, meet multiple and often competing deadlines.
5. At all times demonstrate cooperative behavior with supervisors, subordinates, colleagues, clients and the community.
6. Other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
1. Bachelorâs degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Registered Dietitian with the Commission on Dietetic Registration, or eligible to sit for the exam.
3. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
4. At least one year of supervisory experience for two or more persons.
5. At least one year of providing nutrition counseling.
6. Bilingual English/Spanish.
7. At least one year of experience in WIC.
8. Multiple years of supervisory experience supervising five or more persons.
9. Experience working with underserved populations.
Benefits: Native American Health Center (NAHC) considers our employees to be our most valuable resource and offers an excellent benefit package: competitive salaries, personal time off (PTO) or sick/vacation leave program, and an employer contribution 403(b) retirement plan to full-time regular status employees. We also provide medical, vision, dental, flexible spending, group term and voluntary life insurance coverage for employees and their dependentsâwith a percentage of employee contribution for dependent medical premiums. Note to Applicants: Please be advised a post job offer, pre-employment Physical and TB test are required as a condition of employment. Additionally, you may be asked to get a Department of Justice Fingerprinting clearance as a contingency for an offer of employment. Criminal clearances are obtained to protect the welfare and safety of clients receiving services at NAHC. Preference in hiring is given to qualified Native Americans in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, US Code, Section 472 and 473). Applicants claiming Indian Preference must submit verification of Indian certified by tribe of affiliation or other acceptable documentation of Indian heritage. EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: Within the scope of Indian Preference, all candidates will receive equal consideration without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin or other non-merit factors. Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA): Native American Health Center abides by the mandates of the ADEA (protecting individuals 40 years and older) and considers age a non-merit factor in all employment decisions and considerations. Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA): Native American Health Center abides by the mandates of the ADA and considers disability a non-merit factor in all employment decisions and considerations. Furthermore, NAHC will make any practical, feasible, and reasonable arrangements to accommodate qualified applicants and employees with disabilities.
If you are interested in this position, please click the link provided to apply through our job portal.
2920 International Blvd.
Oakland, CA 94601
[posted Feb 14, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference nutritionjobs.com.