Manager Sustainable Nutrition
National Dairy Council
Rosemont, Illinois 60018
Job Description and Requirements
The Dairy community's health and sustainability commitment has a broad vision to provide consumers with the nutritious dairy products they want in a way that is economically viable, environmentally sound, and socially responsible. National Dairy Council (NDC) has a 100-year legacy in nutrition, and in 2008, we added a commitment to sustainability as an organization. The person in this new role will help NDC integrate our knowledge in nutrition and sustainability with sustainable food systems. The Manager will serve as the resident expert and resource on dairy foods as part of sustainable food systems, with an emphasis on public health nutrition and food security, for National Dairy Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy.
The Manager will work across the organizations with NDC's extensive network of experts in nutrition, sustainability, agriculture and communications, to develop a foundational knowledge platform for the dairy community on U.S. and global food systems. They will integrate food systems knowledge with Nutrition Research and Nutrition Affairs priorities about the role of dairy in healthy eating patterns to help develop an integrated platform for thought leader and stakeholder education. The Manager will stay informed about new research, public policies and trends about the role of dairy foods in food systems in the U.S. and internationally including social, economic/business, and environmental implications of food systems and various food production systems. The Manager will also monitor activities of authoritative organizations (TBD) on dairy in food systems, represent NDC at meetings put on by these organization and build relationships with authoritative organizations and consortia to develop opportunities to educate them about dairy's role in sustainable food systems. The Manager will be responsible for developing points of view and proof points on food systems, food security and sustainable nutrition topics. This person will possess a strong research background and an interest and/or experience in science translation and thought leader education on these topics.
The Manager will act as liaison with the Research, Nutrition Affairs and Communications teams on food systems and sustainable nutrition topics. At times there could be work with our international partners Global Dairy Platform and International Dairy Federation.
Develop knowledge base and compelling proof points on dairy in sustainable food systems
- Day-to-day responsibilities will involve extensive collaboration with cross-functional teams including with Scientific & Regulatory Affairs, as well as Research, Sustainable Nutrition Affairs, and Integrated Communication, to build science-based knowledge base to educate dairy stakeholders and thought leaders on sustainable food systems, food security and sustainable nutrition, including health professionals, academic and government scientists, and dairy community experts. This work will include collaboration with dairy stakeholders inside and outside of the U.S.
- Support integration of content on dairy's role in sustainable food systems into new and existing programs in Sustainable Nutrition, Nutrition Affairs, Global Innovation Partners, Scientific Affairs, etc. Act as expert resource for interpreting and translating scientific studies about food systems in context of public health nutrition, food security, agriculture, the environment.
- Strengthen and provide strategic direction for partnership activities with the USDA, United Nations, and other member consortia on food security and nutrition security. Identify opportunities to build relationships with new organizations.
Enhance credibility of NDC among expert audiences
Build NDC's reputation as a credible resource about dairy's role in sustainable food systems and healthy dietary patterns, for scientists, thought leader audiences and dairy stakeholders
- Collaborate with Nutrition and Sustainability Research teams to develop outreach and education programs for priority topics:
o Create and execute scientific symposia at key scientific meetings--from proposal development through implementation
o Oversee development of literature reviews, meta-analyses and symposia proceedings
o Organize and implement science roundtables about new areas of research for dairy
- Attend scientific and other authoritative meetings relevant to sustainable food systems and dietary patterns; review authoritative reports and regulations (NASEM, USDA, FAO, WHO etc.) and help the dairy community understand implications of activities of these organizations
Education & Experience: 3-5 years' experience in a related discipline in business, agriculture, food, public health/policy, science, or economics. Minimum MS degree; PhD preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Possess strong communication and leadership skills, ability to manage multiple projects and people simultaneously.
- Strategic and analytical thinker who has the ability to translate complex science into credible, engaging information to educate thought leaders in science, government and industry about dairy's role in sustainable food systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills to successfully work in a cross-functional team and have a passion for collaborative efforts
- Entrepreneurial personality, likes start-up settings, with demonstrated capacity to work as part of a team and be self-directed
- Strong bias for action
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to manage through ambiguity; comfortable with change.
- Preference for food, agriculture, nutrition, sustainability experience
- Willingness to travel approximately up to 25% of time
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and a collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O'Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc. (DMI) is funded by America's 41,000+ dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association, and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.
Dairy Management Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
[posted Oct 19, 2017]
When responding to this opportunity, reference nutritionjobs.com.