Job: Director Scientific Affairs-Global Food Systems
Director Scientific Affairs-Global Food Systems
National Dairy Council
Rosemont, Illinois 60018
Job Description and Requirements
The Dairy Community has a vision to provide consumers with the nutritious dairy products they want in a way that is economically viable, environmentally sound, and socially responsible. National Dairy Council (NDC) has a 100-year legacy in nutrition, and in 2008, a commitment to sustainability was added. The individual in this role will help NDC integrate our expertise in nutrition, product and environmental research with knowledge on sustainable food systems, emphasizing public health and food security. Provides strategic guidance to help NDC educate scientists, health professionals, and the dairy community about dairy in sustainable food systems in context of public health, food security, and sustainable nutrition. Interacts across the organization including with Chief Science Officer and other execs, research staff, Integrated Communications, Sustainable Nutrition Affairs, dairy partners and US and global food and nutrition thought leaders.
Provide strategic insight and guidance to support NDC, the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy, and the dairy community priorities relating to the role of dairy foods in health and sustainability
- Monitor authoritative organizations focused on defining sustainable food systems in the US and globally; stay informed about new research, public policies and trends that may impact dairy foods in dietary guidance and food systems in the U.S. and internationally
- Build library of scientific support to guide the dairy communityÃ¢s thought leader and stakeholder education, including strategic differences between U.S. and global perspectives on dairy, health and sustainability, taking into account social, economic/business, and environmental implications
- Provide strategic guidance on food systems, food security and sustainable nutrition topics at all levels of the organization
- Collaborate with U.S. and global dairy organizations to integrate food systems knowledge into their education and outreach about dairy, health and sustainability
Translate science and develop science-based content on dairy in sustainable food systems
- Act as expert scientific resource on dairy in sustainable food systems and public health; provide perspective on NDC research priorities and projects
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams including Research, Scientific & Regulatory Affairs, Sustainable Nutrition Affairs, and Integrated Communications to interpret and translate science to develop educational resources and POVs
- Identify and engage individuals and organizations with relevant expertise that complements internal capabilities to fill knowledge gaps, as needed
- Integrate food systems knowledge into ongoing dairy priority areas about dairy including dietary guidance, food security, food loss and waster, agriculture, and the environment as appropriate.
- Evaluate new studies published in peer-reviewed literature on food systems; educate dairy community on implications, as needed
- Author papers, reviews, and present at scientific meetings
Educate expert thought leaders about science on dairyÃ¢s role in sustainable food systems
- Develop outreach and education programs for expert and scientific audiences on priority topics:
- Create and execute scientific symposia at key scientific
- Oversee development of literature reviews, meta-analyses and
- Organize and implement science roundtables about new areas of
research for dairy
- Attend scientific and other authoritative meetings of existing and emerging organizations focused on health and sustainability; review relevant authoritative reports and policy documents (e.g., NASEM, USDA, FAO, WHO, etc.); submit public comments as appropriate
- Represent NDC at meetings of authoritative organizations to educate about current science on nutrition, food security and sustainability; strengthen existing relationships with authoritative organizations with interests in common with dairy; identify opportunities to build relationships with new organizations in dairy, health and sustainability
Education & Experience: 3-5 years' experience in a related discipline such as food and nutrition, agriculture, public health/policy. PhD required. International experience a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Research background and experience in science translation and thought leader education
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strategic and analytical thinker who can translate complex science into credible, engaging information to educate expert and scientific thought leaders
- Strong communication, interpersonal and leadership skills
- Demonstrated capacity to be self-directed within a team and have passion for collaborative efforts
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Analytical and technical skills essential
- Ability to manage through ambiguity; comfortable with change
- Willingness to travel approximately up to 25% of time
Competitive benefits, generous 401(k), and a collaborative culture. Our Rosemont office is conveniently located across from O'Hare Airport and accessible to the CTA Blue Line and Metra. We offer free chocolate and regular milk on tap.
Dairy Management Inc.Ã¢Â¢ (DMI) is funded by America's 41,000+ dairy farmers, as well as dairy importers. Created to help increase sales and demand for dairy products, DMI and its related organizations work to increase demand for dairy through research, education and innovation, and to maintain confidence in dairy foods, farms and businesses. DMI manages National Dairy Council and the American Dairy Association, and founded the U.S. Dairy Export Council and the Innovation Center for U.S. Dairy. DMI works with state and regional promotion organizations to implement these programs across the country.
We regret it is not possible to communicate with candidates except those who most closely match our requirements.
Dairy Management Inc.is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, gender, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law.
[posted Oct 20, 2018]
When responding to this opportunity, reference nutritionjobs.com.