Assistant Professor position in Dietetics & Food Management
San Francisco State University
San Francisco, California
Job Description and Requirements
Department of Family Interiors Nutrition & Apparel
College of Health and Social Sciences
San Francisco State University
Position title: Assistant Professor position in Dietetics & Food Management
Start date: August 2018
Salary: Commensurate with qualifications and experience. The California State University provides generous health, retirement and other benefits.
Position Summary: The position is in the Department of Family Interiors Nutrition & Apparel at San Francisco State University. The department has four undergraduate degree programs, one offering a B.S. in Dietetics, an MA degree and a Dietetic Internship. The B.S. in the Dietetics & Food Management program is an accredited Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD) preparing students for dietetic internships, as well as, careers in clinical dietetics, nutrition education in hospitals, industry, or government agencies and foodservice systems management.
The position includes a full-time faculty workload is this a 9-month academic appointment per the Collective Bargaining Agreement between the California State University and the California Faculty Association The teaching assignments will be in clinical dietetics, nutrition education in hospitals, industry, or government agencies and foodservice systems management. The scholarship may address a range of topics in the areas of nutrition and dietetics.
Additional responsibilities include, but are not limited to, productive participation on departmental, college, and university-wide committees; mentoring and advising graduate and/or undergraduate students; holding regular office hours; curriculum development and improvement, particularly with regard to student learning outcomes; and remaining current in both subject area and teaching methodologies.
Essential Job Tasks:
- Conduct research in one's specialty area.
- Present and publish findings in peer-reviewed journals, books, or professional conferences
- Prepare course materials such as syllabi, lecture and discussion materials, readings and assignments, assessments, and learning resources
- Prepare and deliver effective lectures to undergraduate and/or graduate students on topics such as clinical dietetics, nutrition education in hospitals, industry, or government agencies and foodservice systems management
- Initiate, moderate, and facilitate classroom discussions
- Evaluate and grade students' class work, assignments, papers, etc. in a timely manner
- Compile, administer, and grade examinations or other learning assessments
- Guide and supervise department technicians in support of safe, clean facilities and equipment
- Maintain student grades and other required records or reporting materials
- Plan, evaluate and revise curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction
- Hold regularly-scheduled office hours for the purpose of advising and assisting students
- Actively participate on assigned committees in accordance with department or College needs, and SF State's strategic vision
- Actively participate in collegial interactions in fulfilling service assignments and other duties at the department, college, and university level
- Additional duties as assigned
Minimum Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
1. Candidates should have a Ph.D. or Ed.D. completed by August 2018 from an accredited institution, with at least one degree in dietetics or nutritional sciences.
2. Current (RD) Registered Dietitian credential by the CDR, and membership in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics strongly preferred
3. Significant Nutrition or Dietetics work experience strongly preferred
4. Oral and written communication skills in the English language at a level that comprehends and conveys information to and from students, colleagues, and others in an effective manner
5. Interpersonal skills that encourage productive interaction with students, colleagues, and other campus stakeholders and promotes collegiality in department, college and university contexts.
San Francisco State University is a member of the CSU system and serves a diverse student body of 30,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The University seeks to promote appreciation of scholarship, freedom and, human diversity through excellence in instruction and intellectual accomplishment. San Francisco State University faculty are expected to be effective teachers and demonstrate professional achievement and growth through research, scholarship, and/or creative work. Our goal is to attract a world-class and diverse faculty committed to build a multicultural educational environment.
San Francisco State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer with a strong commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or
other legally protected category. We strongly encourage the application of individuals from historically underrepresented groups.
Submit letter of intent/interest, a current CV, a teaching and research philosophy statement, transcripts and references (include three names, phone numbers, and email addresses). Please submit all materials online to Kelly Vuong, firstname.lastname@example.org by January 15, 2018. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
[posted Sep 28, 2017]
When responding to this opportunity, reference nutritionjobs.com.