Important Resources Every Dietitian Must Have
Keeping up with the latest news and trends is important for every Dietetic Professional whether you are in clinical, private practice, community, or food service. Knowing what is happening and what could potentially be influencing your patients or clients is necessary to in order to have the right answers for their questions. When you have knowledge of the latest topics, you can build expert power and gain trust and respect from the people around you. You’ll also be able to make necessary adjustments in your practice to coincide with the up-to-date information when laws, standards, or regulations change.
Here are some of the top-rated resources for Dietetic Professionals in any field. A good tip is to pick one or two daily resources to briefly scan so you remain informed. For the websites that offer monthly newsletters, sign up to get all the information in one shot.
- Daily News from the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics’ Knowledge Center. Receive a daily email from the Academy providing a quick review of the nation’s leading food, nutrition, and health trends.
- SmartBrief for Nutritionists. Receive a daily email from top health resources providing a brief summary of the best professional nutrition articles of the day.
- Communicating Food for Health Newsletter. Provides relevant, easy-to-understand patient education materials and creative culinary resources including recipes, cookbooks, articles, and more.
- International Food Information Council. Top worldwide information concerning food and nutrition safety trends and resources including a blog and a monthly newsletter.
- Nutrition411. Free resources for dietitians from clinical, nutrition management, food service, educational materials, career development, and more.
- Today’s Dietitian. Not only is this a monthly magazine containing all the latest news and trends, the website also has archived articles from every past issue laid out in easy-to-find categories.
- Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). Nonprofit education and advocacy organization that focuses on providing information regarding the safety of food for consumers.
- Environmental Nutrition. Monthly newsletter for food, nutrition, and health professionals from authoritative, reliable, and practical resources.
- FoodSafety. Federal food safety updates and information from recalls to safe cooking trends to food safety news for educators and more.
- Institute of Medicine of the National Academies. Nonprofit organization providing answers to the most pressing questions about health and health care by conducting studies and research to improve public policies. Get access to reports and public meeting updates nationwide.
- Nutrition.gov. Provides easy, online access to government information on food and human nutrition for consumers.
- National Nutrient Database Search Tool. Use this tool from the USDA to find out nutrient information on over 8,000 foods so you know what’s in the foods you eat.
- Mayo Clinic: Diseases and Conditions. A comprehensive website with guides on hundreds of diseases and conditions including possible causes, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and more.
- NCES. Health and nutrition education materials and catalog containing books, videos, educational tools, and more.
Stay tuned and keep your competitive edge thriving for more! Knowledge is power!