Dietetic Career Spotlight on Olivia Wagner, LifeStart Wellness Network
By SARAH KOSZYK, MA RDN on SEPTEMBER 21, 2015
I originally met Olivia Wagner, MS, RDN, a couple of years ago at FNCE when she was still a student. She was networking then and she continues to network today. Her passion for people and nutrition has helped her pave her career as a dietitian. NutritionJobs spotlighted her as a student and we’re showcasing her again as an RDN. Congrats to her success thus far! Read on to learn more about Olivia’s career and click HERE to see her past interview as a student. – Sarah
What attracted you to the field of nutrition and dietetics?
See her previous interview when she was still a student. The attraction to our field hasn’t changed. Click HERE to access the interview.
Your Job Title?
Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist, Certified Health Coach, Personal Trainer
Company you are with now?
LifeStart Wellness Network
Describe a typical (or not so typical) day-in-the-work-life for you?
Typical is not a word I use often to describe my job, but eventful, engaging, and fast-paced.. those sound more appropriate. I often wear many hats on a daily basis, but a day may include:
- Giving a lunch and learn presentation to a company on site
- Meeting a fellow LifeStart dietitian over coffee to develop a new program
- Running across the Chicago Loop for an Ask the Dietitian session, cooking demonstration, or food sample at a LifeStart fitness center
- Teaching a Sculpt class to employees over the lunch hour
- Scheduling… presentations, counseling blocks, appointments, and responding to an inbox that never seems to empty!
- Traveling to the suburbs to conduct Health Coaching sessions
- Interpreting cholesterol results at a LifeStart Health Fair
- Sitting down with a company to plan in-office events or office “reboots”
- Organizing a biometric screening event for our corporate wellness program
- Meeting with an on-site café to discuss menu options eligible to receive the LifeStart Approved seal
- Developing presentations, recipes, and educational handouts for events and health awareness at the centers!
…..Taking a deep breath over a Kombucha or Green Tea (keeps my sanity in check).
How did you get your current job in dietetics?
I was looking for a position where I could incorporate all of my many interests daily -taking a comprehensive and integrative approach to health. I had just completed my internship and master’s program at Saint Louis University where I focused in Nutrition and Physical Performance and became a personal trainer. Stumbling upon this position on LinkedIn, it seemed like a great fit!
What skills were you born with and what skills have you learned along the way?
I definitely was born with the chatter bug, I love to talk and it makes my day easy when I get to spend it talking about a topic I have so much passion for. Stepping into a brand new position for the company and wearing a lot of hats, I definitely had to become more structured and organized.. it is still something I work on daily , but with the help of Apps, multiple calendars, and many sticky notes I am slowly, but surely finding my way.
What advice do you have for others wanting to be just as successful and fulfilled as you?
Decide what you are passionate about and go after it! Your first job may not be a slam-dunk, but don’t let it discourage you! The best thing you can do is to engage your passion in your position everyday- even if it may be in unconventional ways, and you will always feel fulfilled. The hardest work and best results always come from places of passion!
If you could be paid for your job with something other than a paycheck, what
would it be?
Raw coconut macaroons…? Kidding. TRAVEL, I would love to see more of the world!