Dietetic Career Spotlight on Minh Nguyen, Community & Outreach for EatLove
By STACEY DUNN-EMKE, MS, RD on SEPTEMBER 4, 2017
Ever thought about being a dietitian at a start-up? Minh Nguyen, MS, RD, shares her exciting job as a community and outreach dietitian at a San Francisco-based tech startup. Read on to learn how she’s living her dream job. – Sarah
What attracted you to the field of nutrition and dietetics?
I’m a science nerd with a love for food. When I learned about a career path that could combine the two, it was a match made in heaven. The opportunity to be working in the nutrition tech space is the cherry on top.
Your Job Title?
Community & Outreach
Company you are with now?
– Instagram: eatloveis
– Twitter: @eatloveis
– Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/eatloveis
– Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/eatloveis
– Instagram: gastroexplorer
– Twitter: @gastroexplorer
– LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/minhanguyen
– Website: https://www.gastroexplorer.com (coming soon!)
Describe a typical (or not so typical) day-in-the-work-life for you?
Being in startup, no two days are ever the same, and I LOVE IT. I do anything and everything that needs to get done. Don’t know how to do something? I figure it out and make it happen. I’m sure all the entrepreneurs here know where I’m coming from.
I’m currently working on launching the newest version of our online meal plan generator created for dietitians, EatLove PRO. It’s been a nonstop marathon since, getting all the pieces aligned. Never a dull moment.
Here’s a list of some of the things you might find me doing:
- Host social and networking events
- Create newsletters and blog posts
- Manage social media accounts
- Conduct beta testing with users
- Pitch to potential content partners
- Recipe ingestion and nutrition analysis
- Curate meal plans
- Collaborate with engineering team for product development
- Present at conferences/workshops
- Nutrition research
- Customer support
How did you get your current job in dietetics?
I had attended EatLove’s consumer launch party awhile back, and met the CEO (now my boss) at this event. I provided some insightful feedback about the product and helped connect the team with some of my RD friends around the states for their launch tour. Fast forward one year later, I see a job posting alert in my inbox for EatLove. Instead of applying online, I sent over my resume directly to the CEO, along with my cover letter expressing my interest and why I’d be a good fit for the position. A 90-day plan, one take-home project, and 3 lunch interviews later, here I am.
What skills were you born with and what skills have you learned along the way?
I was born to eat! Other than that, I don’t think I possess many innate skills. I work hard and I’m persistent. That I learned from my mother. Everything else, there’s Google. Luckily, I’m a fast learner.
What advice do you have for others wanting to be just as successful and fulfilled as you?
- Do something daily that makes you uncomfortable. It’s the best way you’ll continue to grow.
- Network like crazy. Not just in your own field, but branch out. There’s so many inspiring people with a great story to share. Who knows, you just might meet your next boss.
- Always have “ME” time. I find it easy to get engulfed in work because I really enjoy what I do. A little R&R can go a long way and leave you feeling refreshed, so treat yourself!
If you could be paid for your job with something other than a paycheck, what
would it be?
Frequent flyer miles and food vouchers. I love to travel, while eating my way around the world.