Cal Poly Corporation
San Luis Obispo, California 93407
Job Description and Requirements
$17.16 - $24.90/hour
Full-time position in the CPSU Kinesiology Department
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under general direction of the Principal Investigator, the Nutritionist will counsel individuals and groups on nutrition, eating habits, monitoring and behavioral strategies to improve their quality of life and obtain weight loss. Nutritionist will assist with group and individual weight loss counseling for Spanish and English speakers, and also contribute to other aspects of research, including conducting assessments, counseling, and monitoring.
DUTIES *(degree of criticality after each duty)
1. Counsel individuals and groups on nutrition and eating habits, monitoring behavioral strategies to improve their quality of life and obtain weight loss. (5)
2. Perform assessments of height, weight, blood pressure, dietary intake and other related research factors. (5)
3. Assess nutritional needs and diet restrictions and implement dietary-care plans. Coordinate recipe development and standardization and develop new menus. (5)
4. Advise participants and their families on nutritional principles, dietary plans, diet modifications, food selection and preparation. (5)
5. Develop curriculum and prepare manuals, visual aids, course outlines and other materials used in teaching and training sessions. (4)
6. Assist with group and individual weight loss counseling. Lead groups two evenings per week and travel to San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara counties. (5)
7. Monitor and follow-up on participants in person and utilizing other forms of communication. (4)
8. Track progress and maintain computerized database of results. Provide computerized charts and reports to the project director on the progress of the program and participants. (4)
9. Plan, conduct, and evaluate dietary, nutritional, and epidemiological research. (4)
10. Assist in the planning and preparation of grant proposals to request program funding. (4)
11. Other duties as assigned. (4)
* Degrees of Criticality
5 - Highly essential to overall activities of CPC, department and work unit.
4 - Very essential to overall activities of department and work unit.
3 - Essential to overall activities of work unit.
2 - Somewhat essential to overall activities of work unit.
1 - Of nominal consequence to overall activities of work unit.
Master's degree in Nutrition and certification as an RD or equivalent education and experience. Experience in a research setting preferred. Experience in leading behavioral weight loss groups preferred. Experience in WIC program preferred.
Proficiency in Microsoft office products such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Good writing, organization, and communication skills.
Must have own transportation and be able to travel to research locations, as required. Must possess a valid California drivers license and vehicle insurance.
All applications must be completed online at www.calpolycorporationjobs.org. Cal Poly Corporation provides excellent benefits including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, retirement, paid sick leave/vacation and holidays.
Cal Poly Corporation is a non-profit organization which supports the California Polytechnic State University's educational mission and provides quality services, which complement the instructional program. It has more than 200 full-time employees and approximately 1,400 part-time student and intermittent employees. Cal Poly Corporation employees are involved in many areas on campus including administering a wide range of research grants, running commercial operations such food services and bookstore, administering funding for student enterprise aid-to-instruction programs, providing facilities and equipment, and serving as trustee for gifts to the University.
Cal Poly is a nationally ranked, four-year, comprehensive public university. Founded in 1901, the 6,000-acre campus is nestled in the foothills of San Luis Obispo. The university has a student enrollment exceeding 18,000 students and employs more than 2,000 faculty and staff members. Cal Poly is part of the 23-campus California State University system.
University families live in San Luis Obispo and nearby communities both on the coast and inland. San Luis Obispo, a city of 44,000, is located twelve miles from the Pacific Ocean and midway between San Francisco and Los Angeles on Californias scenic central coast. Excellent recreational facilities are available, and the area has an outstanding climate, with an average daily maximum temperature of 62.2 in January, 77.0 in August, and an annual average of 70.2.
All applications must be completed online at www.calpolycorporationjobs.org.
[posted Jul 7, 2012]
When responding to this opportunity, reference nutritionjobs.com.